And we finally have FILMING! (Yay! Applause! Cheers!)
The news is that The Hobbit has finally begun principal photography. The Hobbit which is reportedly taking 680 million dollars to make and which has had a long journey just to reach a beginning is finally underway.
A day all Elves, Dwarves, Men and the free peoples of Middle-earth have been eagerly waiting for!
E Online reports:
The Hobbit is happening!
When it was announced last month that cameras would begin rolling on the highly anticipated two-part Lord of the Rings prequel on March 21, naturally, there was a lot of “We’ll believe it, when we see it” talk. After all, this is a production that has seen more than its share of setbacks thanks to such things as set fires, threats of union strikes and perforated ulcers.
But, sure enough, principal photography did indeed start today at the Stone Street Studios in Wellington, New Zealand, with director Peter Jackson himself taking a moment to post pics to his Facebook page from the film’s set.
The first flick is due to hit theaters in late 2012. Assuming, of course, everything goes smoothly from here on out.
BBC News reports:
Filming on the two Hobbit movies has begun following months of delays caused by funding problems, a row over actors’ wages and surgery for its director.
Filming is taking place at Stone Street Studios, Wellington, and on location around New Zealand.
Production on the films, starring Martin Freeman as Bilbo Baggins, is expected to take up to two years. The first is due out in late 2012.
At a press conference last month, the film’s star, Freeman, joked about the trials it has faced.
“There are some bits of bad luck associated with it,” he said.
“We’re all very optimistic about it. We’re ready to go – just as soon as 2015 comes around.”
Geoff Boucher writes on HeroComplex:
After much struggle and strife, Peter Jackson is back in the place he belongs — Middle-earth.
The Oscar-winning director and his crew have just begun principle photography on the “The Hobbit,” the two-film, $500-million fantasy adventure that appeared in serious jeopardy over the last year in the face of a studio fiscal crises, the defection of Guillermo del Toro, an especially nasty union dispute and Jackson’s own stressful (and stress-induced?) hospital stay.
With all of that, the first day of shooting at Stone Street Studios in Wellington, New Zealand, must have felt like a finish line for the 49-year-old Jackson,who looks fairly serene in photos posted on his new Facebook page. The Wall Street Journal quoted a chipper-sounding spokeswoman who says “the mood is really great” on the set and you can bet the good cheer will spread throughout Hollywood – “The Hobbit” promises a companion epic to Jackson’s “The Lord of the Rings” trilogy, which merely pulled in $2.9 billion in worldwide box office and that was before the 3-D craze and its pricier tickets. The first of the two new films (which are indeed being shot in digital 3-D) is due in theaters in late 2012, the second arrives the following year unless Orcs or MGM get in the way.
A sneak peek:
The security around the sets is pretty tight (after all, the films are “believed to be the most expensive movies currently being shot anywhere in the world”). Yet fans all over the world must surely be breathing a collective sigh of relief as news of the commencement of shooting was received.
The pictures in this blog entry have been taken from Peter Jackson’s facebook page.
A big thank you and congratulations to all those who are participating in the creation of these movies!
Watch this space for more info! 😀
Please feel free to comment below or discuss at the Forum.